First Session Tips
First Session Tips from Other Parents on How to Best Prepare!
Here at SoccerGemz, we understand that for many of our new families this will be their Gemz first activity or sporting program, so we have taken the time to get feedback from several parents who have participated in the program. We are excited to have their feedback on how we can make our soccer program better for each family to create a memorable and lasting experience.
We asked parents what are some of the things they wish they knew before their first session and they came up with these 5 first session tips to help you have a GREAT 1st session with your gem!
First Session Tips:
- Pre-plan the night before and be ready to fully participate.
- Talk with your Gem before arriving at the field to prepare them for class. Remind them that soccer is coming up and that they are going to have fun.
- Eat a good breakfast before arriving to the field. Be sure to bring water and snacks.
- Provide positive feedback and encouragement during session
- Cheer and encourage other teammates as well as your child. Monkey see, monkey do.
- Participate with your gem and show interest.
The main take away is to have a positive attitude, have FUN, and encourage your child participate!
Don't forget to share pictures and videos on our Facebook page during the session of your gem in action!
Your gem should be able to perform the following tasks prior to moving to each next respective age group.
- Dribble ball with either foot
- Place foot on ball
- Sit on ball
- Do not pick ball up with hands
- Kick ball to parent, coach, and into goal
- Independently participate in games
- Follow instructions from coaches
- Playing with peers with minimal assistance
- Stop ball from pass with either foot
- Perform pull back move
- Score goal from 5-10ft away
- Pass or take ball from peers
- Dribble with both feet
- Do not use hands
- Use inside/top of foot to pass
- Score in correct goal
- Performs move of day correctly
- Dribble between cones
- Dribble with head up
- Control ball
- Pass or Take ball from peers